Monday, January 25, 2021

W Tree Rock Scramble

A few years ago, I found myself riding through Sunol regional park in the East Bay, and noted that there was an interesting label on one of the drainages on the map: "W Tree Rock Scramble".  Of course that piqued my interest.

This route turns out to be not a trail, but rather a designated scrambling route up a wee canyon through steep terrain -- the sort of thing that naturally draws me in.   I've been meaning to get back there to explore it ever since then, but a little thought and research made it clear that the endeavor would be most fun under just the right conditions.  Too hot, and it is full of rattlesnakes.  Not what one wants to be surprised by when reaching around a boulder for a handhold.  Too wet, and the rocks are slippery and more difficult, and cold.   A big poison oak year, and, well, that is it just too itchy.

So really, a very narrow window exists. It's gotta be November or later, after the rattlesnakes give up due to cold, but before the winter rains start. That usually coincides with busy holiday and singing seasons, so I just hadn't gotten out to do it.   

Last week, there was finally the perfect day - I had time, it was 70° out, and we haven't gotten much rain yet this year, so there wouldn't be much water in the creek (hopefully) and there wasn't that much poison oak this last year, relatively speaking.

My route in ran along the hillside above Alameda Creek.   This area is full of faults, which clearly are active enough to lead to steep hills, so the hike in was a good warmup.   I enjoyed hiking while taking in the views and listening to podcasts in the warm sunshine.

I eventually dropped down to the creek level, and found my way to the "W Tree", which was not hard to spot.  There was even a sign :)  Time to deviate from the trail!

Others have been here since the last rainy season  -- there is no way this cairn would still be here otherwise.  One can tell that water runs through here frequently; there was a faint slick of water on the most of the route even though we hadn't gotten much of any rain since last winter.

You may notice the excellent green color of the rocks above. This area is chock full of scenic metamorphic rocks with swirls of fantastical coloration. It is fun stuff to scramble through, both visually and because the rock is hard enough to provide many good hand and footholds.
Conditions were such that one could move up this drainage relatively quickly by channelling one's inner quadruped. That was what I had planned for, so it was fun.  The climbing gym has been closed for months, so I've been looking for more opportunities to clamber on rocks outside.  I found myself a dry waterfall or two to climb. Just little ones; nothing stupid.

After about 45 minutes of scrambling, I came to a trail junction.  Though I wanted to keep scrambling, it was time to head back if there was any hope of making dinner that night at a reasonable hour.  Plus, I wanted to save some of the scramble to come back and do with Chad!

The trail headed back up and over many hills, with scenic views of trees,


hills covered in brand-new green grass, poking up through last year's old brown grass,

the edge of Calaveras Reservoir,

and cows both young and old munching on the fresh new grass. I accidentally deviated from the real trail onto a cow trail at one point, but the landmarks were such that it was easy to navigate back to the car. A most excellent hike!
.



No comments: