Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Back home after visiting WA

Nimue and I took advantage of her spring break to head up to Washington for a few days. While there, we had a chance to visit my parents, a friend from high school, and my brother and his family. Much trampoline fun, a little rain, a trip to see Mt. St. Helens (Nimue is currently obsessed with volcanoes), and a last-minute concrete project ensued. Here are a few of the pictures:




As is often the case, even an absence of a few days can lead to one noticing changes in one's home environment.

1. It got a lot hotter -- temperatures above 90 for the last couple of days, leading to all manner of critters sunning themselves on the road. I saw no fewer than three snakes this morning, and myself got to eschew all the winter layers to which I've been accustomed for shorts and a tank top. My bike shadow looked unusually svelte.

2. Yet another fava bean crop to harvest. This was the biggest yet, as I filled up the garden hod that Linda gave me for my birthday. (Hod, hod, I like the word hod. For my birthday, a useful new tool and a new word!) The plants are starting to look like they're almost done, so I'll have the space liberated for the rest of the tomatoes soon. I spent more than half an hour shelling the beans on Monday, and much as I like them, am ready for a change.

and my favorite:

3. The pattern of squirrel roadkill on the way to school is entirely different. Given the large number of fruit trees in people's yards around here, the squirrels are fat, happy, and slow. They get run over by cars with astonishing frequency, and are thus transformed into semi-squished roadkill. This starts out fresh and rather intact looking, but over time, the little corpses desiccate in the sun and get flattened as more cars run them over, until all that remains is a series of squirrel agonies tattooed on the street. One can use them as landmarks, for a time. The street sweeper must've made its quasi-periodic ramble through the neighborhoods while we were gone, as the street tattoos have been replaced by a plump new batch.

or my other favorite:

4. The house was cleaner on our arrival back home than when we left, thanks to Chad's delightful efforts :)

No comments: