Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sinister Bunnies


In the wee hours of the morning, I heard the frantic cry "Mom! Mommmmmm! MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!" emanate from Nimue's bedroom. I sleepily met her as she ran toward our bedroom to hear the tale of two scary things in her room: "Bobber is talking, and the bunny's head on my blankie got bigger." I staggered over to her bedroom, mumbled something about the cat meowing, and checked out the blankie situation. As far as I can tell, she must've been dreamt the following conversation:
Cat: "Hi!"
Nim: "You can talk?????"
Cat: "Of course I can."
After dreaming this, she rolled over and snuggled what she thought was her blankie, but was actually Ginger. As you can see from the picture, Ginger's head is approximately the same color as the blankie, but a little bigger, and she interpreted this as the blankie head having freakily grown in the middle of the night. Fortunately, after I chased the cat out of her room and pointed out that she had mixed up the bunny heads, she went right back to sleep.

Despite my efforts to stay at least partially asleep through this encounter (managed to do it all without opening my eyes), by the time I got back to bed I got the giggles. The hard giggles. I kept imagining the sinister bunny blankie inflating its head, growing fangs, and floating around the room spookily uttering "Wooooooooo". (This is oddly funny to the half-asleep brain at 3 am, trust me.) Tears rolled out my eyes, and despite the fact that I tried not to wake up poor Chad too, my half-stifled snorts and convulsions of laughter led him to stir long enough to ask what was wrong. Had to admit I merely had the giggles. Ooops.

No comments: