Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Ski Week for real this time

When ski week rolled around in the middle of February, we hit the usual small amount of snow on the drive up, leaving Downieville looking delightfully wintery.



More storming occurred overnight.  I chose to ride up the hill with Chad when he drove up the hill to go skiing.  Even though I couldn't ski, or even walk around much, I wanted to be outside.  The views on the way up paid off.



I made Chad put the chains on before we got to the entrance to the ski trail.  The truck does have its limits!

I settled myself in on a camping chair in my big down coat, wrapped in a big blanket with my book, camera, and ipad

while Chad headed intrepidly out on his skis to find some fresh snow.

After getting bored reading and watching a helicopter land in the fire district parking lot, it was time to play with photo manipulation on the ipad.  Naturally, one had to make fun of the teenager who chose to stay back in the warm house.

Chad got more heroic treatment, as he was out adventuring.

The second day we went up there, it was actually sunny :)  Chad had fun skiing; my main accomplishment was to posthole through the snow 50 feet away from the parking area to find a tree to pee behind.  With the condition of my knee at that point, that was a major expedition.

After enjoying Downieville for a few days, we headed over towards Tahoe.  Stephan's cabin had truly excellent icicles growing on it.


I could have easily opted to stay and relax in the cabin, but decided to go over to the lodge at Sugarbowl and hang out there while Chad and Kean went skiing.  That way, I could stake out a lunch table and guard the hot chocolate!

The drive over promised good conditions on the hill.

While Chad and Kean skiied,

I stayed in the warm lodge watching the storm blow in outside.


I had several books and magazines to read, but also had concept sketches for a project
 
and a big bag of yarn.

While my helmet grew demented helmet cover pieces,

Chad's beard grew icicles.  (The beard arose starting shortly after Christmas when I made an offhand joke about a "shutdown beard"; Chad took me seriously...)

The lunch, warm beverages, and snacks that I carefully guarded gave Chad and the kiddo excuses to come inside and thaw out periodically. 

 Over the course of several ski days, I finished two helmet covers.  As you might expect, a bunch of people were curious and came over to talk to me.  I could have sold them several times over.  Especially the cat.  Nope, the cat is MINE.  Kid gets the squid.


Proof that we had sunny ski days in addition to the most excellent storm days.



No comments: