Saturday, January 24, 2009

First skiing of the season

We headed up to Downieville last weekend to visit Chad's mom, relax, and play in the snow. Luckily, there was still snow to play in on the higher north-facing slopes, despite the unseasonably warm temperatures earlier in the week.

Chad got in his first graceful-as-usual tele turns in, Nimue showed herself to be quite competent on her little cross-country skis, and I once again struggled against my downhill skiing muscle memory in a vain attempt to make the free-heel skiing thing work.

Nimue's the cutest, so she gets the airtime.



If you can't hear Nimue's comments in the background, the gist is: "What a nice day. I don't have any sit-on-butts. I'm having super fun today. I want to do it again tomorrow!"

My "real" (i.e. downhill) skiing commences during ski week in February. We're also spending some time in and around Downieville that week; I've resolved to rent A/T gear so I can actually ski in the backcountry rather than flailing on tele gear :)

No comments: