Monday, September 21, 2009

Too good to be true?

On the way home from school today, Nim and I noticed that there was a crossing guard posted at at the intersection of Mary and Knickerbocker.

This is a Good Idea. I've often wondered why this intersection didn't have one. Many kids live in the neighborhoods to the east of Mary and go to schools just on the other side; Knickerbocker is a great bike and pedestrian route but Mary is fairly busy during commute hour. I typically see kids streaming through this intersection heading toward the middle school on my way home after riding with Nimue to the elementary school.

I commonly use the intersection as a "Which car might make a mistake and mow us?" training exercise as we're waiting for the traffic signal, as there is so often a demonstration of the bad car behaviors that I try to teach Nimue to watch out for: right turners not looking out for kids in the crosswalk, left turners not yielding to through traffic (particularly bikes and peds), red light running, etc. While this is a useful exercise, I don't particularly like having Nim have to go through it twice a day, every day. It's the one intersection that would prevent me from letting her ride all the way to school by herself this year because I just don't trust the cars to behave themselves.

Really really really hope this isn't just a freak trial and that it stays. Please please please please please!

No comments: