Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pushing the envelope of what can be done during the school day

About 2/3 of the way through my ride on Tuesday, I realized that the loop was going to end up being 70 miles instead of 60. Needless to say, this led to an unplanned increase in intensity up the last hill, as I had to make it back in time to pick Nimue up from school at 2:30. Oops.


Notable moments:

--Big squashed rattlesnake on the side of the road on Pierce.

--Coming around the corner on Skyline to see what looked like two little yappy-dogs in silhouette, only to realize that they were two of the tiniest fuzzy spotted fawns I've ever seen. They weren't much bigger than our cat, and still looked a bit unsteady on their legs. I think I actually uttered "Tiny, WOW!" aloud as I slowed down and rode by.

--Not seeing any more kamikaze squirrels run onto the road after I issued the ultimatum "Next one gets runned over." The evil beasties were playing a game along highway 236 in Big Basin in which they repeatedly darted out of the bushes on the side of the road to zigzag erratically in front of me.

--Motorcyclist slowing down just slightly on the way down route 9 so that he could ride along side me and report my speed. "20, 25, 23, 25, ...." After several curves, he got bored and sped off; I just laughed the whole time.

--Bonking not during the ride, but when I was in the shower after getting Nimue home from school. I guess the chocolate milk and avocado I wolfed down just before the shower wasn't enough to stave off the depletion long enough to get to the real food.

New bike is good :)

No comments: